EDR's first Digital Daily!
3 mins read

Nepal Police Officer Found Dead in Parliament Building Apparent Suicide

June 19, 2024
Nepal Police Officer Found Dead
Photo: Onlinekhabar

A Nepal Police soldier assigned to protect the Parliament building was discovered dead with a bullet wound inside the premises. Police constable Ajit Gole, hailing from Dolakha, was found dead in a toilet, suffering from bullet wounds.

Nepal Police spokesperson Dan Bahadur Karki confirmed Gole’s death at the scene and stated that investigations are ongoing to uncover more details about the incident. “After hearing gunshots, we found him dead on the spot,” Karki reported, adding that Gole’s colleagues are working to understand the circumstances leading up to the incident. Gole’s body has been sent to the Civil Hospital.

Parliament Secretariat spokesperson Ekram Giri indicated that Gole had committed suicide by shooting himself. The deceased was a resident of Melung rural municipality-4 in Dolakha and served in the Central Special Task Force of the Nepal Police, stationed at the Federal Parliament Security Base in Naya Baneshwor.

Ad below

According to Kathmandu Police SP Nawaraj Adhikari, Gole’s duty on the morning of his death was from 6 am to 10 am. He reportedly shot himself in the forehead with his INSAS rifle around 8 o’clock, and his body was found in a toilet near gate number two of the Parliament building at approximately 8:30 am. Preliminary investigations suggest that a rift with his girlfriend led to the tragedy.

Ajit Gole, a 22-year-old unmarried police constable, had been engaged for about five months. His fiancée had been living in Dubai for the same period, having been sent there at his expense. Investigations revealed that the relationship had deteriorated, with Gole’s girlfriend allegedly becoming distant, leading to disputes. Messages found on Gole’s mobile phone indicated that he had frequently expressed suicidal thoughts due to these relationship issues. On the morning of his death, he sent a final message saying “I am going to die” and made a video call, coinciding with the time of the incident.

An investigation officer noted that it appeared Gole had placed the gun on the ground, aimed it at his forehead, and pulled the trigger with his foot, firing one round from his INSAS rifle. Gole had been deployed at Gate No. 2 for security duties from 6:00 am to 10:00 am and had been assigned to Parliament House since June 10. Although part of the Special Task Force, he was not commando-trained, having joined the police force in 2021.

The body was subsequently sent to the University Teaching Hospital for post-mortem examination.

The Ditible

The Ditible is a distinguished digital news media platform. All the breaking news and latest happenings! official Ditible staff profile.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.